Aloha Rewilders! Elena here. I am moving out of my apartment this month to venture forth on new beginnings, and as I look around the place I realize why I always get comments about the positive energy here. I guess I’ve done my homework in maxing out the zen at this place, so I decided to share with you some ways you can get the funk out of your humble abode that will have you blissing out in no time.
1. Cleanse – this is a VERY important step because you want to get rid of old or negative energy before letting in the new. You may not realize it but old conversations, thoughts, and objects leave trails of negative energy so clear out anything that may be holding on to old memories or experiences. Burning white sage which is known for purifying, lighting some incense or candles and literally visualizing the cleansing will help. You can also say out loud a few statements like ‘wash away the old, let in the new and bring peace into this space’. It may sound silly but chanting it is kind of fun too. :)
2. Rock salt lamp – my yogi friend Bryan taught me about this a while back. Himalayan rock salt has a cleansing effect and releases negative ions (which are good) to combat the positive ions (which are bad) that are released from our TV, computer, and other appliances. They also help to energize us and elevate our mood. I put mine right beside my bed because that’s where I spend the most time on my laptop, reading, and just hanging out.
3. Zen space – set up a place in your house where you can sit quietly, read, think — or better yet, stop thinking. I have a little meditation area right by the window of my apartment where I set up a meditation mat, incense, cushions, candles, and a Buddha statue. I swear there is something about having a Buddha in your home that instantly makes it feel like a sanctuary!
4. Music – sound vibrations are some of the best way to bring awesome energy into your house, and even plants are happier and grow better with peaceful and stimulating music. Meditation music, nature sounds, and chants are all great ways to fill the space with positive sound. Listening to bossa nova when I’m preparing my meals definitely makes me more cheery and also brings me to the next item on the list…
5. Happy food – stock up on organic fruits, veggies, herbs, and greens. These all have a high vibrational frequency, especially sprouts which are literally buzzing with life energy and will absolutely make your place feel more alive. Just imagine that colourful bowl of fruit on your counter — it is a rainbow of awesomeness.
5. Colours – speaking of rainbows, bring on the bright colours and dec out your pad with the energies that best suit you. Yellow is great for lifting your spirits, orange gives you confidence and energy, violet increases your creativity and inspiration, and indigo enhances your intuition.
6. Fill your house with inspirational books – words have alot of power, and it doesn’t get better than books full of inspiring lessons and messages. I know that just having a raw food cookbook on my shelf made me feel happier, and Amanda has a funny way of picking up books whenever she needs inspiration or an answer and always happens to open them to just the right page that will bring her the message she’s looking for.
7. Add plants – as many as possible, haha. They are great for cleansing and purifying energy so having them on your window sill, in your kitchen, bedroom, and anywhere else you can put them will definitely liven up your surroundings. I personally don’t have a green thumb so I chose the easiest ones to take care of like bamboo, succulents plants which only need to be watered every 2-3 weeks, and cactus.
8. Positive affirmations – can’t stress enough how well this works! Write out positive messages on a sticky note by your bed, a board on your fridge and on your mirror to remind yourself of how awesome you are, things you have to be grateful for, and your favourite mantras and you will be on your way to a happy day every day at your abode — trust me your friends will notice it too!
9. Laugh! Have your friends over, watch a comedy, or even read a joke on your computer to start the day and just let the positive energy fill your place. Don’t underestimate the power of laughter, it seriously has medicinal qualities and bringing as much of it as possible to your house will make even a stranger feel the good vibes when they step in.
Hopefully this helps to draw in the positive energy into your house, so let us know what you think and we want to know – how do you ‘happy’ your home?