Hey Rewilders, Amanda here :)
One of my best friends sent me a text the other day which said, “tell me everything you know about chia seeds”. My initial response was “they are amazing”, but to write everything I know about chia seeds, well, that is a little too long for a text, so I decided to make it into a post!
This video pretty much sums up my knowledge: HERE
… just kidding :) I love chia seeds, and below is everything I know about them.
Chia Seeds 101: The quick and dirty facts
- Chia seed are an ancient superfood …ooohh sexy right?
- Chia seeds are a plant-based source of omega-3 fats which most people think they can only get from fish. If you are a vegetarian, then fret no more… chia seeds come to the rescue!
- Move over blueberries… chia seeds are loaded with three times the amount of antioxidants.
- They have five times the amount of calcium in milk!
- Chia seeds have more potassium than a banana, more fiber than oatmeal and more iron than spinach.
- The are a complete source of protein (meaning they contain all nine of the essential amino acids your body needs.
Chia Seeds 101: For Athletes (and btw, we are all athletes)
- Consuming chia seeds increases energy and endurance (just try and you will
- They have the ability to “hold water” which will prolong your hydration and help you retain electrolytes
- They can absorb up to twelve times their weight in water, making them great for pudding recipes.
- Due to their binding properties, they make a great egg replacer in baking.
- Recipes from some of our favorite blogs:
Gooey Banana Bread Batter Instant Steel Cut Oatmeal by Oh She Glows (Katie, I think you are going to like this one!)
Post-run Berrylicious Smoothie by Oh She Glows
Raw Cocoa Crackers by Choosing Raw
Pumpkin Chia Seed Chocolate Chip Cookies by Pure2Raw
Chunky Monkey Super Omega-3 Energy Bars by Free Coconut Recipes
So as it turns out, these little gems do more than just help your chia pet grow hair! :)