We admit, we are kind of obsessed with coconuts and all their byproducts. In case you need proof, watch this video…
Yup, we may have lost our minds. That was intended to be a video about how to open a coconut…. Rewild style of course :) Nuts or not, we have complied what we think is the ultimate list for all the things you can do with a coconut!
1. Eat the meat plain!
2. Put the meat in your smoothie.
3. Turn the shell into a bowl for a coconut soup (this assumes you opened the coconut neatly..unlike in our video).
4. Drink the water for a refreshing post workout drink.
5. Make Young Coconut Ice Cream… YUM!
6. Wait for it to sprout and then eat it (we tried this in Costa Rica, very yummy! tastes like angel food cake)
7. Body Lotion: Lather Up!
8. Make-up Remover
9 Anti-wrinkle face cream
10. Hair Conditioner: Put a tiny bit in your dry hair and let it soak in for a few hours or overnight. Wash out in the morning!
11. A healthy substitute for butter
12. Use it as the oil in all your frying and roasting: It won’t break down when heated, meaning it won’t produce free radicals like many vegetable oils do.
13. Massage oil
14. Anti-ich cream for bug bites
15. Spread on cuts and scraps to heal them faster and help prevent infection.
16. Chap stick
17. Pre-workout energy booster
18. Wood polisher: check a small spot first!
19. Deodorant: use by itself or combine with a drop of tea tree oil for a power antiseptic combo
20. Acne treatment: Combine 1/2 cup softened coconut oil with 10 drops tea tree oil, mix and store at room temp. Apply to face as needed. (always test a small area first)
21. Natural Bug Repellant: mix peppermint essential oil with coconut oil and spread on skin
22. Homemade toothpaste: We haven’t tried this yet, but heard that it can be done
23. Eczema Treatment
24. Metabolism booster
25. Use as the sugar substitute in all your recipes calling for crack (aka white sugar)
26. Homemade body scrub: 1 cup sugar (this is also a great way to get rid of white sugar you have laying around) + 1/3 cup sweet almond oil + 8-10 drops of essential oil for scent, mix and keep in shower (these also make great gifts!)
27. Make these
28. Or these
29. Drink it!
(Amanda’s brother loves coconuts too!)
30. Use it as creamer for coffee
31. Make dairy-free whipped cream
32. Make what we are calling a coconut bouquet:
34. Create a coconut stand on the side of the road… make a little jingle jangle :)
35. Give it to someone you love
36. Shake it for an arm workout? coconut shake weight? we wonder…
37. Get crafty and make a coconut bra (Never know when you will need one of those)
38. Dried shell can be used to buff floors: called a coconut brush in Jamaica (we have not tried this one yet)
39. Mediate to Saint Coco thanking him for all you have in your life… including the coconut :)